“There’s an adrenaline rush that comes with denying the common rules of society: that I should always be trying to lose weight, that I should always be unhappy with some flaw. To say I am perfectly content with my body and all the parts that assemble it is nothing less than radical.” ― Virgie Tovar
Today’s guest is Virgie Tovar, author, activist and one of the nation’s leading experts and lecturers on fat discrimination and body image.
In this episode we discuss:
- Why the world needs radical girl scouts (and where to find them)
- How to remember the joy your body brought you before Diet Culture crept in
- Why grief is important in diet recovery
- Just how confusing is the rhetoric around health and fatness?
CONNECT WITH VIRGIE:
INSTAGRAM: @VirgieTovar #losehatenotweight
Read more about Virgie and today’s conversation at Performing Woman.
BY THE WAY: If you love the Finding Our Hunger podcast, you have FOUR great ways to support us:
- Become a Patreon
- Leave an iTunes review
- Listen to the 1st 100 episodes by getting a Finding Our Hunger Podcast Album
- Start a FREE trial with audible.com
Thank you for listening—we appreciate you SO much <3.
MENTIONED IN THE PODCAST:
Join the conversation at findingourhunger.com/bookclub.